Guide to maintaining a vaccine refrigerator
PHS test over 3,000 vaccine fridges each year and up to 10% of these devices will fail.
How to maintain a vaccine refrigerator
PHS test over 3,000 vaccine fridges each year and up to 10% of these devices will fail. For this reason, we estimate that £3million worth of vaccines will be ruined this year due to surgery fridge failure.
Additionally, we estimate that if faults weren’t detected during testing, it’s likely that they would go unnoticed as there are no external indicators. The implications of these failures are highly significant, both in terms of healthcare and finance.
Not only is the vaccines’ efficiency jeopardised, which could endanger your patients’ well-being, but there are also cost implications involved in not having your vaccine fridge tested regularly. Spoiled vaccines will have to be replaced and the insurance costs for failures can be very high.
In fact, a number of practices have seen their insurance premiums increase due to their claims for replacement vaccines. Because of this, many insurers now insist that a claimant’s fridges are tested quarterly to minimise the risk of repeat claims.
Why do vaccine fridges fail?
Although the average vaccine fridge will last between 6 and 8 years, as with all electrical equipment, there is no guarantee, and it is not uncommon for this type of equipment to fail in its first year of being used.
Additionally, June to October is the peak time for fridge failures, due either to a period of sustained high temperatures or the bulk storage of new vaccines. The high number of flu vaccines delivered in October, for example, can often push fridges that are bordering on failure over the edge.
It is also surprising to see the increase in the number of domestic fridges appearing in surgeries. Despite being unsuitable for vaccines, the cheaper fridges can be used for specimens and act as an over flow. However, with time, the efficacy of vaccines stored in unsuitable fridges will be compromised, placing the health of your patients under threat.
- Guide to safety testing legislation
- Choosing the right mat
- Guide to the benefits of document scanning
- Guide to the perfect washroom
- Guide to cleaning colours
- Guide to flooring maintenance & restoration
- Guide to high-visibility clothing standards
- Guide to maintaining a vaccine refrigerator
- Guide to PHS Besafe's garment repair
- Guide to playground safety surfacing
- Guide to preventing flu in the workplace
- Guide to preventing the spread of germs
- Guide to washroom services
- Guide to waste management
- Guide to workwear icons
- How to protect your matting & flooring
- Records and document audit guide
- The definitive guide to cleaning a commercial washroom
- The health benefits of plants
- Your floors and the Disability Discrimination Act
- Workplace cleaning cupboard essentials