The health benefits of plants
Choosing the right plant
You don't have to create a jungle in your building to appreciate the health benefits of plants - by just adding a plant here and there you’ll give your staff ample opportunity to enjoy cleaner air as well as fewer headaches and increased concentration.
What do I need to consider when choosing?
Generally speaking, all plants are good at promoting better health - it's just a case of what's best for your building and your own personal preference.
For example, in particularly dry conditions, some plants are great at raising humidity levels. As plants return 97% of the water we give them back into the air, these water loving plants help to raise humidity levels, making them incredibly useful in centrally heated or air conditioned buildings. Some water loving plants include Schefflera, Bamboos and Hemp.
Additionally, whilst most plants give out oxygen during the day, there are a few night time workers that do it the opposite way around. Epiphytic Bromeliads, orchids and succulents exchange oxygen and Carbon Dioxide at night rather than most other plants which do this in the daytime. This makes them perfect bedroom plants to refresh the air we breathe during sleep - or even to keep your night shift workers more alert, perhaps?
Here’s a basic list of office appropriate plants to consider:
- Kentia Palm
- Dracaena Janet Craig
- Pot Chrysanthemum
- Phoenix roebelenii
- Ficus robusta and benjamina
- Chrysalidocarpus lutescens
- Rhapis excels
Still can’t choose? PHS can provide extra guidance to ensure you find the best plant for your working environment.
- Guide to safety testing legislation
- Choosing the right mat
- Guide to the benefits of document scanning
- Guide to the perfect washroom
- Guide to cleaning colours
- Guide to flooring maintenance & restoration
- Guide to high-visibility clothing standards
- Guide to maintaining a vaccine refrigerator
- Guide to PHS Besafe's garment repair
- Guide to playground safety surfacing
- Guide to preventing flu in the workplace
- Guide to preventing the spread of germs
- Guide to washroom services
- Guide to waste management
- Guide to workwear icons
- How to protect your matting & flooring
- Records and document audit guide
- The definitive guide to cleaning a commercial washroom
- The health benefits of plants
- Your floors and the Disability Discrimination Act
- Workplace cleaning cupboard essentials