Workplace cleaning cupboard essentials
Maintaining a clean, tidy and sanitary workplace is one of the most basic and important aspects in keeping staff happy and healthy.
Even if you hire external cleaners, most workplaces still have to source their own supplies. If you don’t, it remains important to have a basic set of supplies for emergencies or when the cleaners can’t make it.
To give you a hand, PHS has come up with this quick guide to those cleaning cupboard essentials that no workplace should be without.
When we talk about consumables, we mean (predictably) anything that can be used up.
In a broader sense, that can be things like soap and toilet roll, but here we’re thinking mainly about cleaning chemicals.
At a complete minimum, you should have the following types of cleaning substances in stock:
- Multi-purpose cleaner – This is a must-have and is great for all surfaces. Try to choose one that also has disinfectant properties.
- Concentrated anti-bacterial cleaner – Fluids like this are perfect for diluting and using to make hard floor areas sparkle.
- Glass cleaner – Because no one likes a streaky window.
- BONUS: Responsible for washroom areas? Don’t forget to invest in a hardy toilet cleaner.
In terms of supplies, there are a few things you absolutely have to keep stock of in order to keep your workplace clean.
- Cloths – This should be an obvious one, but there are lots of different types available depending on the job in hand.
- Refuse sacks – Must be strong. If you produce any specialist waste, you must put it in a specific sack e.g. clinical in a yellow sack.
- Sponges and scourers – Hopefully we don’t have to tell you what these are for!
- BONUS: Some cleaning chemicals can be harmful, and often, employees don’t want to get their hands dirty. Make sure you have enough job-appropriate gloves available for use.
Finally, it’s imperative that you have the correct equipment to keep your premises up to scratch and deal with any emergencies.
Most of these will seem obvious, but just in case, here’s a list of essential workplace cleaning equipment:
- Mop and bucket – For all your hard floor areas.
- Dustpan and brush
- Toilet brushes
- Vacuum cleaner – Choose a reputable brand and a robust model.
- BONUS: If you want to go one step further, you could consider a carpet washer/buffer.
For professional advice about all your workplace supply needs, get in touch with the experts at PHS.
- Guide to safety testing legislation
- Choosing the right mat
- Guide to the benefits of document scanning
- Guide to the perfect washroom
- Guide to cleaning colours
- Guide to flooring maintenance & restoration
- Guide to high-visibility clothing standards
- Guide to maintaining a vaccine refrigerator
- Guide to PHS Besafe's garment repair
- Guide to playground safety surfacing
- Guide to preventing flu in the workplace
- Guide to preventing the spread of germs
- Guide to washroom services
- Guide to waste management
- Guide to workwear icons
- How to protect your matting & flooring
- Records and document audit guide
- The definitive guide to cleaning a commercial washroom
- The health benefits of plants
- Your floors and the Disability Discrimination Act
- Workplace cleaning cupboard essentials