Keeping your blinds clean is something that could be easily overlooked, but is actually very important, especially in a commercial setting. You might think it’s just a matter of keeping up appearances but there are actually a lot of downsides to grimy or dusty blinds including:
- Dust and other contaminants in the air leading to irritated eyes, respiratory issues and damaged machinery
- Bacteria growth leading to increased staff absences and sickness
- A bad first impression for both new employees and potential customers
- Reduced employee engagement and workplace pride
- Reduced sunlight and dimly lit working conditions
Of course, all of the above is easily prevented by simply maintaining a regular and strict blind cleaning routine. We’ve put together some tips for cleaning blinds to make everything as simple as possible:
Cleaning Blinds: Tips
How easy your blinds are to clean depends more than anything on the material they’re made from.
If you have PVC blinds, you may find they can quite easily be wiped clean due to the way they resist water. More on other types of blinds in a moment, but if this is the case you can simply follow these steps:
- Close blinds fully and wipe the entire surface of the blinds with a damp, clean cloth to remove any dust or built-up dirt. You should do this at least every 2 weeks as part of your regular cleaning schedule.
- If your blind pull cord is made from plastic, you can wipe it down with warm soapy water. On the other hand, this will cause rusting on metal cords, so use a damp clean cloth again for those.
- Baby wipes are also a great gentle option that will remove dust and bacteria whilst not damaging any blind coating or fabric blinds
Wooden Blinds Cleaning Tips
Wooden blinds on the other hand, don’t wipe off quite as easily and are more likely to be damaged by moisture or chemical cleaning solutions. As a result, follow these steps to clean your wooden blinds:
- Use a feather duster, or a dry dusting cloth to remove any dust and other contaminants from each blind
- A vacuum cleaner on the most gentle setting and with a soft brush attachment can also achieve the same quickly and easily (but don’t suck up the cord!)
- Any dried on liquid stains or greasy patches should be gently scrubbed off with a clean, damp cloth, but be sure to fully dry this area down afterwards to avoid moisture damage or mould.
- Avoid chemical cleaners for wooden blinds unless they are specifically designed and marketed for this purpose. The wrong kind of chemical can damage your blinds permanently.
Cleaning Roller Blinds
In general, for cleaning roller blinds, you can use either of the above tips depending on what material they are made from.
However, an important area not to neglect is the roller blind mechanism itself. If left uncleaned, this can become clogged up with dust and grime and stop working, requiring a repair or replacement.
Cleaning this once a month with a simple silicone spray will keep the interior of the mechanism clean while also preventing any squeaks or seizing up.
Cleaning Vertical Blinds
Vertical blinds tend to attract less dirt and grime than other blinds since there is less of a flat area for such things to settle on. If they fit in well with your office decor, it might be worth going with them for this reason alone.
For a quick routine wipe down, you can follow similar steps to the generic blind cleaning pointers given above. For an occasional more thorough and completely clean, we would recommend individually removing each vertical blind from the rail and cleaning them entirely.
Another important factor with vertical blinds is that if they’re dried too quickly, they can become misshapen or damaged. It would be a good idea to hang them from something and let them air dry naturally before re-attaching them.
Cleaning Blinds Professionally
If you’d rather not spend your employees valuable time on cleaning your blinds, we have the solution for you. phs is the UK’s leading commercial window and blind cleaning service. We have operation centres in every town and city in the UK, meaning we’re your local provider no matter where you are.
With over 20 years experience being the #1 professional blind cleaning service in the UK bar none, our experienced and reliable staff are able to enter your premises, carry out the required tasks, and leave with zero interruption to your daily routine, meaning cleanliness is just one less thing you need to worry about!
Save costs, improve hygiene, and focus your attention on growing your business!
Want to hear more about how we could transform your workplace and save you time and money in the process? Contact us now to learn more!Talk to an Expert