Since our beginnings in 1963 as a sanitary disposal provider, the PHS Group has expanded to become one of the leading suppliers of workplace services in the UK.
In the last 50 years, we have expanded into a range of different businesses and now offer over 250 products and services to companies both nationwide and in Europe. Our timeline below documents our journey from a family owned company through to an international business with more than 5,000 colleagues and over 140 sites.
PHS Group Timeline
• 2014 •
- PHS Foundation reaches its first major milestone with a donation of 50k to charity partner ‘Together for Short Lives’.
- We were recognised for our outstanding contribution to training at the British Security Industry Association Awards.
- We unveiled a new high-tech facility in Leyton to support the Data Solutions branch of our business.
- We launched the revolutionary Airstream hand-dryer.
- We agreed the sale of our Wastetech business to Biffa Group Ltd.
• 2013 •
- PHS celebrates its 50th anniversary!
- The acquisition of scanning and data capture service experts, Capital Capture Ltd.
- Capital Capture scoops Private Sector Project of the year at the Document Manager Awards.
- PHS Wastemanagement wins at the Zero Waste Awards.
- Royal Warrant Holders, PHS Treadsmart and PHS Greenleaf, exhibit at the Coronation Festival in the gardens of Buckingham Palace.
- PHS Direct’s top service win Caradoc Award.
- PHS Foundation announced its first charitable partnership with Together for Short Lives, the leading charity for the UK’s children’s hospice services.
• 2012 •
- PHS Academy opens - a new centre for training and development across PHS.
- Acquisition of document scanning business, Godiva Imaging Ltd.
- PHS Waterlogic is the world’s first water dispenser service to be independently certified and hold the Carbon Reduction Label.
• 2011 •
- Acquired Direct Hygiene and launched a new route to market with an on-line platform- rebranded Direct365.
- Orwak celebrates 40 years of trading.
- We release our first Corporate Responsibility Report.
- PHS Datashred acquires Shred Easy.
• 2008-2009 •
- Established our PHS Group Values: Professionalism, Teamwork, Trust, Honesty.
- Acquisition of document storage company Datasafe Management Ltd; early beginnings of PHS Recordsmanagement.
- Acquisitions of electrical safety testing company Epsilon Test Services Ltd and medical equipment testing company JPen Medical Ltd; early beginnings of PHS Compliance.
- Acquisition of Spanish washroom service company Serkonten marks launch of PHS into the Spanish market; to be rebranded PHS Serkonten.
• 2005-2006 •
- Acquisition of Watercompany International marks our introduction to the Netherlands, and the creation of our European drinking water company Watercompany (BV).
- Acquisition of Warner Howard makes PHS exclusive supplier of iconic World Dryer within the UK; its commercial laundry equipment business will become PHS Laundryserv, and Orwak's baler and compactor service will become PHS Wastekit.
- Development of our new IT system, Wildebeest.
• 2003-2004 •
- Customer Contact Centre opens in Ammanford.
- Acquisition of shredding company Securishred; early beginnings of PHS Datashred.
- Royal Warrant awarded for Installation and maintenance of plant displays.
- Acquisition of commercial waste management company Wastetech; to be rebranded PHS Wastetech.
- PHS gains Investor in People accreditation across the Group.
- First PHS trading in Ireland came with All Water Systems Ltd.
• 2001-2002 •
- Acquisition of crate rental company Teacrate; to be rebranded PHS Teacrate.
- PHS Group plc begins trading on the London Stock Exchange in June, in one of the biggest floatations of the year; the company valued at £414 million at that time.
- Acquisition of Dee-esS Direct Supplies; the early beginnings of workplace and washroom consumables business PHS Direct.
- Acquisition of pharmaceutical waste companies DOOP and Pharmawaste creates PHS Wastemanagement.
• 1999-2000 •
- Acquisition of Waterlogic (UK distribution rights) leads to creation of PHS Waterlogic, our mains-fed drinking water dispenser service.
- Acquisition of All Clear creates our healthcare waste disposal business and is absorbed into PHS Wastemanagement.
- Acquired Justmats which made our mat business the clear market leader and at this point it was rebranded PHS Treadsmart.
• 1997-1998 •
- 'PHS Group' is used for the first time to collectively describe all the related companies in the Group.
- PHS is awarded its first Royal Warrant, for provision of mat services to Buckingham Palace.
- Acquisition of tropical plant service company Interscape; the early beginnings of our interior and exterior landscaping business PHS Greenleaf.
- Staff ‘Long Term Service Award’ scheme is introduced
• 1995-1996 •
- Our first ever acquisition is Stardust Mats, later to become PHS Treadsmart.
- PHS bought by Investment Company Electra Fleming. Growth by acquisition becomes a possibility for the first time in our history.
• 1984-1990 •
- Tamworth site opens, where we begin design and manufacture of our own products
- Our purpose-built HQ opens here in Caerphilly in August.
- Dust mat service introduced; early beginnings of PHS Treadsmart.
• 1963 •
- PHS, originally Track Retail Consultants, founded on August 14th by entrepreneurs George and Alfred Tack, to offer a washroom sanitary disposal service. PHS is amongst the first to market with this new service concept.
- Early expansion of washroom service range, to include other items including soap dispensers, paper towel dispensers and warm air hand dryers heralds the beginning of PHS Washrooms